The Maxim Gorki Theatre (German: Maxim Gorki Theater) is a theatre in Berlin-Mitte named after the Soviet writer, Maxim Gorky. In 2012, the Mayor of Berlin Klaus Wowereit named Şermin Langhoff as the artist director of the theatre.
It is the oldest concert hall building in Berlin. The building was built on behalf of the Sing-Akademie zu Berlin, which was founded by Carl Friedrich Christian Fasch in 1791. In the years between 1825 and 1827, under its former director Carl Friedrich Zelter, he set up his own concert hall and his own home. Design and execution were done by junior architect Carl Theodor Ottmer, using plans of the architect Karl Friedrich Schinkel in the classical style.
Between 1827 and 1828, Alexander von Humboldt gave his Cosmos lectures here. On March 11, 1829, the first performance of a revival of St Matthew Passion by JS Bach performed by the Sing Academy under the direction of Felix Mendelssohn. In the summer of 1848, the building was used as the venue of the Prussian National Assembly.